A Committee was initially established in 1952. Subsequently, formed in 1957, the Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation (OLERF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation dedicated to helping children and adults with eye problems by funding eye research and student fellowships throughout Ohio.
Areas that receive funds are:
- General Eye Research Fund
- Neiderhauser Fund for Macular Degeneration
- Bryan Fund for Diabetes Research
- Lois Hagelberger Huebner Young Investigator Award
- Fellowship Fund (For research -- Future bequests and memorials are in this fund)
- The activities of the Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation, Inc. are to be primarily directed toward the further research into the cause and the treatment of eye diseases and disorders, including diabetes.
- The Foundation supports eye research institutions throughout Ohio by providing resources and funds contributed by Lions Clubs and the public or private sector.
- The Foundation shall provide education relevant to vision research and promote goals of Lions Club International.
Source: Preamble, Amended Constitution & By-Laws of Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation, Inc.