For over 60 years the Foundation has been supporting research on numerous eye diseases at a variety of Ohio institutions.
Highlights of the History of the Foundation
1951: A Representative of the National Eye Research Foundation addresses the Lions of the State Convention. His remarks were turned over to the Blind Welfare Committee for study and report at the next year's convention.
1953: The College of Optometry at OSU becomes a funded agency.
1957: Foundation status was granted to the committee, and it was given 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status by the IRS.
1973: Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, added to funded agencies
1974: Children's Hospital, Columbus, added to list of funded agencies
1978: Received a bequest from the estate of Clela Strong, Sandusky, of $138,000, to be used for education and only the interest from the invested money to be used.
1980: Added Children's Hospital, Cincinnati, to the funded agencies
1987: Established Bryan fund for diabetes research
1992: OSU requests OLERF to buy and build an eye research laboratory at 420 West 12th Ave., Columbus, cost $500,000 to be paid over ten (10) years.
1995: Added Wright State University to the list of funded agencies
2000: Launched the OLERF web site at http://www.ohiolionseyeresearch.com
2002: Final payment to Eye Laboratory of $55,000
2009: Established Neiderhauser fund for Macular Degeneration research
2012: Established Norbert Peiker Fellowship of OSU Ophthalmology
2014: Added Akron Children's Hospital to list of funded agencies
2017: Lois Hagelberger Huebner Fellowship started ($214K over 2 years)
2018: Added Northeast Ohio Medical School to list of funded agencies